Without plugins, WordPress is just a simple blogging platform. Plugins allow users to create more features, from e-commerce modules to admin page improvements. There are thousands of WordPress plugins that allow you to customize WordPress to your liking. This tutorial will show you 3 different ways to install WordPress plugins.
1. Install WordPress Free Plugin From The Official Plugins Directory
There are more than 46000 plugins located in WordPress.org plugins directory and all of them are free! Follow these steps to install plugins:
- Access the WordPress dashboard and navigate to the Plugins section.
2. Click the Add New button, it is located at the top of the page.
3. You can find the plugins with the Popular, Featured or Recommended tags located on the same page or use the search field. If you know which plugin you want to install, enter the name or related keyword and type keyword and Search field and press the ENTER button. In our example, we will install WP Super Cache Plugin – it can help you speed up WordPress blog.
4. Now press the install button next to the plugin to install.
5. Plugins installed by default will be disabled. To proceed and activate the plugin, click the Activate button.
That’s it, you’ve installed and activated your first plugin!
2. Install WordPress Plugins Manual
The official directory for installing plugins is not the only place to download plugins. There are many other premium plugins directories, for example CodeCanyon has over 4,000 paid plugins. Before starting to install, make sure you have downloaded the plugin to your computer.
- Go to the Plugins section and click the Add New button.
2. Click the Upload Plugin button.
3. On the new page, you will be asked to upload the archive plugin. Select the file, select the archive plugin from your computer and click the Install Now button.
4. To activate the plugin and complete the installation process, press the Activate button.
Congratulations, you know how to install WordPress plugin.
3. Use FTP to install WordPress Plugins.
Another way to install a WordPress plugin is to use an FTP client or File Manager. This can be useful if your hosting provider limits PHP upload size and you cannot install plugins via administrator dashboard. It may be a bit complicated because you need to know how to use FTP or need to use File Manager . Therefore, we do not recommend this method, here is how to install via FTP client:
- Extract archive archive on your personal computer.
- Connect to your hosting account via FTP client and redirect to the WordPress directory. In this example WordPress is installed on public_html.
3. Go to wp-content.
4. Open the folder.
5. Upload the plugin folder here.
6. Log into the WodPress admin page and navigate to the Installed Plugins section.
7. You need to activate the plugin manually. Click Activate to do this.
That’s it, you have seen the green icon successfully installed.
By completing this tutorial, you already know 3 different ways to install WordPress plugin. Go ahead and add new features to your blog. Customization is not limited to thousands of free and paid WordPress plugins.